Tuesday 20 November 2012

Feeding The Christmas Cakes

I've just fed the traditional fruit Christmas Cakes with brandy and thought I'd share the process with you. The brandy keeps the cakes really moist and helps develops a delicious flavour (I promise it's not too boozy. Ahem!). When storing, I keep my cooked cakes wrapped in the greaseproof paper they were baked in, then wrapped in tinfoil, and finally stored upside down in an airtight container. To add the brandy, I simply turn the cakes the right way up, unwrap the tin foil and pour on the alcohol. For a large cake I tend to add about 4tbsp, for a smaller one 2-3tbsp. Some people recommend skewering the cake first to allow the alcohol to penetrate, but I have never bother with this step and it works just fine. I repeat the process every 2-4 weeks depending on when I remember!



 
Look at it glistening! Next, simply re-wrap, tip upside down, store and let the magic happen!

2 comments:

  1. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas......tiddle de dee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait until I get the marzipan out!

    ReplyDelete