Sunday 14 April 2013

Sewing with my Sister

I've been home from my wonderful Japan holiday for a week, but the post-holiday blues have meant I haven't done much crafting since my return! My lovely twin sister soon changed that this weekend when she suggested I help her make a dress for her daughter Emma (who else!). As Vicky was a bit busy on Saturday and I was already doing a spot of shopping she asked that I pick a pattern and some fabric. Oh the hardship!

I went to John Lewis in Sheffield as they have a good haberdashery section. With some excellent advice from the sales assistant (neither myself or Vicky have done any pattern reading since we did Textiles GCSE age 16), I chose a Simplicity pattern. We are doing the second dress (on the right in the picture below), it has a scalloped trim detail on the yolk and pretty ties at the back.

 
Next was the fabric. I had been looking for a floral design but I just couldn't find the perfect one. Then this print caught my eye - little birds! This lovely fabric is called Flock of Birds by David Walker for Westminster/Free Spirit. How cute?
 
 
Once home we soon got to work and two hours (and a glass of wine!) later we had cut out all the pieces. Here is Vicky hard at work, we're using Emma's play mat as the perfect workstation.
 
 
Unfortunately, we had to leave it there as I'd forgotten to buy some piping for the scalloped trim - oops. Unfortunately, that means Vicky is now going it alone as I'm back in York. Good luck Vicky, the dress is going to be wonderful.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment